Thursday, December 23, 2010

"It gets better"

I was going to make a YouTube video about this, but I don't want to make any until AFTER my surgery.
That's right, kids, I said SURGERY. I'm having a cosmetic procedure in the New Year to remove an ever-growing cyst on my mouth. So, once that's done and all healed up, I'll be posting videos on YouTube once again! Yaayyy.

Anyways,
I wanted to join this whole "It gets better" movement and contribute any way I could. So, given the circumstances, I decided to blog my personal views and opinions.
I would just like to forewarn anyone who is easily offended to please stop reading. I may piss people off, I might have opposing views on homosexuality and I often cause a huge fuss when I speak my mind. So if you're going to try to force your "correct" opinions on me, please leave now. Thanks.

Ok, so I just want to start by saying that, with ANYTHING in life, we all struggle at some point. It DOES get better, but it doesn't just happen. You have to make your life everything you want it to be before anything gets better. And those who actually believe life is easy are idiots. Run away from them.

What struck me the most is the climbing number of suicides, SUICIDES, in schools across America. Now, being in Canada, clearly I don't have the same hardships as a lot of American youth, but I can only imagine how hard it would be, personally, to go to a school with children raised by ignorant, racist red necks. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of intelligent, open red necks.

I never once blamed the homophobic youth. They're fully entitled to their feelings and beliefs and, being in a country whose constitution states "Freedom of Speech", are perfectly entitled to speak what they feel. The hardest thing for most people to do is to brush it off. We all have opinions, view, beliefs, etc. But for some reason when it comes to things like Religion, Sexuality, Ethnicity, etc. There are "wrong" opinions and "right" ones. Why is that? Instead of arguing and telling others they are WRONG about something, why not educate them to a differing view. You both might learn something. And you both leave as better versions of yourself. Right?

To all the kids who are different in ANY WAY than others. Guess what? In being different, you're perfect. Do you really want to be like them? I know what it's like to wish i was the same just to avoid the grief I receive from people about how I dress, act, talk, etc. But in the long run, I'm me, and I don't fucking want to change.

Now, I've never been one to support Gay Rights Activism. People try to push me into doing it, but to be honest, I'm not just gay. I'm a human being trying to make my way in the world, I want to get married one day, I want to have a good job, go to school, buy a house. I have dreams and aspirations just like everyone else. I refuse to be put on a pedestal or treated any differently than anyone else because I am gay. Being gay doesn't affect anyone else at all. My love life has nothing to do with my friends, family, acquaintances, or anyone else. My being gay doesn't mean I have anything in common with other gay guys, nor does it mean I'm interested in ALL men. What I want, and what I HAVE is to live my life the best I possibly can, with everything considered, every single day.

I wish this same thing upon all the gay youth, and troubled adults even. Live your life first. Don't put anything in front of your own personal happiness. Not even your sexuality. Because it doesn't matter who you love, who you celebrate, or where you're from, we're all humans and we all want the same thing: unconditional, well-rounded happiness.

This may not help a lot of people, but like I said, life is only as good as you make it. So if you embrace who you are as a person - not as a label - and take everything you can out of life every single day, you will be much happier and no negative comments will bring you down. And never feel like because you're gay you have to be a flamer, or because you're Asian you have to drive badly, or because you're Christian you have to go to Bible Camp. There are different ways to be who you want to be. Take advantage of the choices you have. If you don't like a certain stereotype, challenge it and break it apart.

I am not a "Proud" gay. I am proud to know enough about myself at 19 that I can be okay with it, and not care what anyone else has to say because it's none of their business.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Love always,

xoxo

P.S.

just to clear the water on my own views,
I'm pro-choice concerning abortion, I joke about racism and sexism all the time. I use words like "Faggot" and "That's gay" and "What a DYKE". I don't use them to offend, but make people laugh. Like I do.
I'm pro-laughter. I'm not politically correct. And I love most people that come into my life.
As for the marriage thing. There are plenty of states and countries that welcome Gay Marriage. If you want to get married, Move. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment